WHAT NOT TO SAY: TOP 10 TERRIBLE THINGS THAT CARING PEOPLE SAY AFTER MISCARRIAGE
For those experiencing emotional pain after miscarriage, unkind words can make a bad situation worse. The sad fact is that most people don’t even realize that they are being unkind!
Here are our votes for the Top 10 terrible things that are commonly said to those who have miscarried. These are real quotes said to people after miscarriage, usually by people who genuinely love and care for them.
- You’re young, you’ll have more babies. You can always try again.
- It happens all the time. At least it happened early.
- There was probably something wrong with it anyway.
- At least you haven’t created your nursery yet.
- You didn’t really need another baby anyway. It’s a blessing in disguise.
- It wasn’t meant to be.
- Do you think you did something to make it happen?
- God wanted your child in heaven. Your child was too wonderful to be on earth with us. Your child is in a better place now.
- This is why people wait before they tell anyone they’re pregnant.
- Your miscarriage was so long ago, shouldn’t you be over it by now?
Not everyone experiences emotional pain after miscarriage, but those who do may feel an unrelenting anguish and grief. They may be questioning everything that they drank, ate and did during their pregnancy. They may be harshly, internally judging themselves. If they are searching for a path to peace, these statements and questions will only make their struggle harder.
Now that you know what NOT to say, what can you say? Click here to see our TOP 10 TERRIFIC THINGS TO SAY AFTER MISCARRIAGE. This is our guide to offering comfort and friendship to anyone impacted by miscarriage.