People Impacted by Pregnancy Loss Often Experience “Wreath Grief.” You Can Help.
SAN DIEGO (December 13, 2021) – Life Perspectives,® the global leader in education, research, expertise and support after reproductive loss including miscarriage and abortion, today announced tools and tips to help those who may struggle with their pregnancy loss or reproductive loss during the holiday season.
“The holidays can be a very difficult time of year for those impacted by miscarriage, infertility, stillbirth and other pregnancy and reproductive losses – even decades after the loss,” said Michaelene Fredenburg, President and CEO of Life Perspectives. “We call these feelings ‘Wreath Grief.’”
“Wreath Grief” is when thoughts of the holidays – the fun of decorating, cooking and opening gifts – is marred by the pain of pregnancy loss, or the loss of a baby who did not live long. For people impacted by pregnancy and reproductive loss, the holidays can make a difficult loss even tougher every year. And this pain can be felt by their friends and loved ones as well.
Typical “wreath grief” can be thoughts like these:
“She would have been 5 years old this Christmas.”
“He would have just been old enough to open his own gifts.”
“Everyone knows someone who is experiencing ‘Wreath Grief,” added Fredenburg. “However, most people don’t realize that family members or friends may still be silently grieve the loss of their child every holiday, even years or decades after the loss.”
When “Wreath Grief,” is ignored, downplayed or marginalized, the result can be a more profound grief that is endured in isolation, where suffers feel invisible and alone during a season that should be filled with happiness and celebration.
HELP FOR “WREATH GRIEF”
Have you personally experienced a pregnancy loss? Do you know someone who has? Life Perspectives offers free Helpful Toolkits on their website to help process your loss, or help a loved one who may be struggling during the holiday season, or any time of year. Although these Helpful Toolkits focus on loss from miscarriage, they can help anyone struggling from any kind of pregnancy or reproductive loss. Helpful Toolkits include:
- Two Things You’re Thinking Right Now: What to say and do when someone you love tells you they’ve had a pregnancy loss.
- Top 10 Terrible Things that people say after pregnancy loss.
- Top 10 Terrific Things that people say after pregnancy loss.
Life Perspectives also offers specialized toolkits for:
- Just for You: A special toolkit just for women who have experienced miscarriage.
- Friends & Family: When someone you love has had a miscarriage, what do you do? This toolkit provides tips and resources to help them process their pregnancy loss.
- Healthcare Professionals: Your words and actions after pregnancy loss – especially during the moment of bad news delivery – are remembered forever. This toolkit guides you on what to say to help your patients, along with self-care tips for you.
- Men: After pregnancy or reproductive loss, men often feel invisible and their grief unimportant. This toolkit provides tips and resources especially designed for men facing miscarriage and other pregnancy losses.
And other resources including:
- You are not alone: See our short video to get started helping yourself – or others – through miscarriage.
- #ForgetMeNot2021: When you’re ready, share your pregnancy loss story on social media.
- http://www.miscarriagehurts.com is a healing website that offers guidance and a safe space for anyone impacted by miscarriage or abortion. It includes a place to tell your story anonymously, as well as structure for finding the support you need from others. (Note: some of these stories are raw and painful and may be difficult to read.).
- Michaelene Fredenburg, CEO of Life Perspectives, has authored a series of books to help those impacted by reproductive loss. These books are for sale at the Shop on LifePerspectives.com and available digitally on Amazon, and free with a Kindle Unlimited subscription.
- The Shop on LifePerspectives.com also features memorial items and sympathy cards from Life Perspectives’ “Forget Me Not” Signature Collection. This Collection honors those impacted by pregnancy and reproductive loss with the “Forget Me Not” flower. The “Forget Me Not” flower assures those impacted that we are remembering them, and remembering their children with them. This includes sympathy cards, memorial jewelry and booklets. As Life Perspectives is a nonprofit, all proceeds help those impacted.
“A pregnancy loss or reproductive loss can be decades old, but still be very painful every year during the holidays,” added Fredenburg. “It’s important to be open and available to listen and comfort those who are impacted and need our help.”
About Life Perspectives
Life Perspectives® is the global leader in education, research, expertise and support after reproductive loss including miscarriage and abortion, without religious or political affiliation. Life Perspectives provides training and resources to health professionals including hospitals, medical professionals, therapists, social workers and pregnancy centers, as well as community and faith leaders.
Life Perspectives is also nationally accredited by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) and by the State of California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) as a Continuing Education Provider. Life Perspectives is also approved by the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) and the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT) to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and LEPs. Life Perspectives is at the forefront of creating impartial and impactful research to understand the way individuals process reproductive losses, and to establish global standards for offering compassionate care. Life Perspectives also offers a safe place, without religious or political affiliation, for those impacted by miscarriage and abortion at MiscarriageHurts.com® and AbortionChangesYou.com®. Life Perspectives is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.